Featured Post

Homeland Security: The Sworn Duty of Public Officials

Homeland Security: The Sworn Duty of Public Officials     The United States has a unique position amongst the countries of the world;...

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Autobiography for Organizational Leadership

I am studying full time, as an older student I have cleared the decks to be able to do so. I am over half-way through my Master's. I'm working on my thesis, which is exploring possible differences in handling of the FBI's COINTELPRO operations between the Ku Klux Klan and the New Left and political reasons for any possible differences. I am going to have to put this on the back burner for now, as I am taking both classes for this quarter during this section, and will be pretty busy!

I enrolled in the program on a Homeland Security basis, with the goal of goal of making myself useful with a national security job, but have since decided to pursue my PhD. The focus of my studies is the effects that politics has on national security. I didn't change to a politically oriented program because I think any actual changes are done within organization's culture, and I wanted to understand how we as a country protect ourselves internally. My experience in LE is peripheral, having worked recently as a patrol security guard.

The ability of people within an organization to lead, whether from a formal or an informal position, is critical to that organization's success in meeting it's goals. When I took the CJ Admin course, I found the leadership discussions to be the basis for understanding that course, as everything eventually leads back to somebody taking responsibility for making decisions and getting things done correctly. I held the billet of platoon sergeant for a few months while in the Marine Corps, and found that leadership is both the most morally rewarding thing a person can do and at the same time one of the most frightening things a person can do; for myself, as an introvert, it is also an exhausting task. I look forward to an expanded understanding of the concept of leadership, as well as a focus on it's application in the LE community, from taking this class.

No comments:

Post a Comment