- How might a social control theorist respond to the idea that
a person's environment should not be used as an excuse for poor
- What kind of information about Gardner's background would a
social control theorist require in order to be fully informed about
Gardner's environment and to explain how he improved his life? Why?
- Can the environment of individuals impact the likelihood that
they would be able to “pull themselves up by their bootstraps and
succeed in a conventional lifestyle?” How?
- If Gardner, frustrated with his life, had taken up a career
of crime, which criminological theories could have been utilized to
defend his actions?
- What social control mechanisms might Gardner have encountered
in his early life that could have aided his behavior later in life?
Does labeling count as a social control mechanism? We have the example of Oprah's grandma, who made sure that Oprah had a positive self-image from early childhood.